Sunday, April 05, 2020

Lore Gordon (1923 - 2020)


My dear Mum, died on Tuesday 31 March 2020 in hospital in Bromley, Kent, following a short illness after catching Covid-19 (Coronavirus). She was 96, just over two months from her 97th.
For the last four years she has been living in two homes. The first was for over 3 years at Elmstead Care Home, Chislehurst (a residential home), and over 6 months at Sundridge Court, Sundridge Park (a nursing home). I want to thank both homes for looking after Mum so well. Thanks as well, to my sister Margaret for finding both homes, with help on the second from friends at the Elmstead home.
Mum was kind and thoughtful. Funny and wise. She wasn't passive - she was going to do something about it - whatever the it was! She was always supportive, always 'there'. Mum also liked to laugh - understatement. She laughed at any opportunity!
One day, probably when I was 17, Mum was going away for a few days. She called me into the sitting room (lounge) and we sat opposite each other, and the exchange went:
Mum: Are you ready?
Me: For what?
Mum: You're coming with me
and where we were going was Paris, for an extended weekend I think, meeting friends who lived there, and exploring the city. She hadn't said a thing, and I had no idea this was going to happen, a perfect surprise and I think it was to mark me having finished school. All very exciting.
Then we jump a bit. Catie and I were starting out, and my parents offered us a part of the house to rent, which we accepted! We had two large rooms, and shared facilities, including spending time with Mum and Dad. Also watching television with them, or on our own. We paid rent. At the end of the time we were there, possibly one and a half years (where we left to live in our first house) they paid most, if not all, back to us! They said it was just that they wanted us to get the hang of saving. That was another big secret.
As time went on, Mum started to bubble up with excitement about secrets, and most times let the cat out of the bag!
I hope to write one or two more posts at some point.

(First published on Facebook 3 April 2020)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home