Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Bi-Polar Disorder (Manic Depression) - Part 2 - Diagnosis

In 1997 I found myself in a Priory Hospital (I've also had numerous NHS admissions, and been treated at home). But for many years since 1981 (when my 2nd child was stillborn) I was thought to have depression and treated as such. In 1997 however, I was in the Priory, and the psychiatrist thought differently. Now luckily, I made handwritten notes, trying to discover what was wrong with me. Notes were the sort of thing I would do, but the Hospital also encouraged me to write them. I still have those notes. They started off completely bizarre. There were a number of conspiracy theories that I had, some about the people in the Hospital. I had lists of people who were involved, and those that weren't. People moved over from the good side, to the bad side or vice versa. I had little pictures - often very childlike ... and so on. I was unwell! The notes were scrappy and fragmented.
From the notes: admitted to Hospital 4/8/97, psychiatrist told me I needed Lithium and that night 12/8/97, first blood test scheduled for 18/8/97 to see if Lithium in therapeutic range, writing of notes becomes practically normal - like a normal journal/diary 19/8/97, I said to psychiatrist that "I felt well" 20/8/97, discharge from Hospital 10/9/97. The Hospital said that I might get tempted to throw the notes away when I felt better, but they strongly advised against this. They said it was better to have them as a reminder of how bad I had been!
Key dates - had probably started being unwell since May 1997, Lithium first 12/8/97, 'feeling well'  20/8/97. Just 8 days to have my life turned around thanks to Lithium but also various people along the way, but specifically my wife who got me to the Priory, and the psychiatrist who first treated me with Lithium. I didn't stop having episodes by any means, but I had the main building block to deal with the condition. It must be remembered that Lithium will not stabilize on its own - exercise, diet, balancing the meds, etc. all play their part.
Further posts to follow eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home